9.12.2012

Day in Photos

A while ago, my mom mentioned that she wanted to see all the changes that have been made to Hills & Dales Park. It's part of the Dayton Metroparks and relatively nearby. Since we've had really beautiful weather the past few days, a photo excursion was in order.

Before we even made it to the park, we had to stop and take pictures of two mid century modern houses that I was drooling over.



I'd love to live in a house like this! Maybe the owners would let me move in....I'd settle for a tour. I'm dying to know what's inside! I'd lose my mind if one of these gems turned out to be a time capsule!

I was eventually able to pry myself away and we made it to the Patterson Memorial. If you live in the Dayton area, you've probably been here or at least driven by the monument. This is my obligatory full monument shot.



I'm partial to detail shots, myself. It allows me to get creative and try out fun angles. Below is part of the inscription.

And some cool lights they've added to the landscaping..

After many years of photo shoots and museums with my mom, I know I can expect to spend a lot of my day waiting for her to get done looking. I'm not sure what takes her so long. While I was waiting, I took a picture of my feet. Notice they don't touch the ground. This is normal. You can also see why this isn't a fashion blog.

I was seriously missing my flip flops at this point. It was far too warm for real socks and shoes. I did encounter some broken glass later in the day, so sneakers probably were the right choice.



The acorn tops above were just laying on the stone wall. Maybe left over from a squirrel snack?

I did not take a photo of the random guy sunbathing right next to the monument. Be thankful. Super weird. He had driven there in his car and had a lawn chair and everything. That's commitment.

Next, we went to an area where the metroparks has built nice new shelters. They're very log cabin-y and reminded me of The Berenstain Bears.


From there we walked to the tower. I used the word walk instead of hike because I realize that wandering around wooded areas and taking pictures really doesn't qualify as hiking.



The tower used to be open to the public when my mom was a kid and she said you could climb to the top and see for miles. Sometime, I think in the 60's, a girl was killed there when lightening struck the tower. After that, it was sealed and bars were added to the windows. It's one of those creepy places that kids tell stories about. My sister and I grew up calling it Frankenstein's castle. I've also heard people call it Witch's Tower. It's not really creepy, at least in the daylight. It's a very pretty structure. I would love to see the view from the top.

The leaves aren't really changing much yet, but I did see a few like the one below to let me know fall isn't too far off. I'm still not sure where summer went.


The last place we stopped was called Dogwood Pond. There was a pond, but no dogwood trees. I did spot a patch of Black Eyed Susans hiding in the foliage nearby.



























The pond overflowed into this water feature. I really like that the park used a craftsman style in their design. 


That's how I spent of my day. It was good to get out and enjoy the sunshine and blue skies. I look forward to shooting more as the leaves change.

2 comments :

  1. These photos just made me feel warm and fuzzy all over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Thank you for the wonderful compliment! Now I'm all warm and fuzzy!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I read each and every one!