10.28.2013

Frosted Cut Out Sugar Cookies - A Vintage Recipe

My Aunt Phyllis has been making these cookies for years. She makes them at Christmas time and they're everybody's favorite. I decorated these for fall, but I'll be making them again soon for Christmas. The recipe is really easy too. Trust me, you'll want to pin it, print it, save it, or something. These cookies are that good.

The original recipe actually called for Parkay, so I adjusted it to fit my needs and it worked out perfectly!
Caroler’s Cookies
Printable Recipe
Ingredients:

For Cookies-                                                                                                                 
1 cup unsalted butter                                    
1 cup sugar                                                        
2 eggs                                                                  
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 ½ cups flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt

For Frosting-
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tbs milk
food coloring

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
Blend in eggs and vanilla
Combine dry ingredients in a  separate bowl and add to butter mixture in increments
Mix well
Chill until easy to handle
Roll out on floured surface and cut with cookie cutters
Bake at 400° until edges begin to brown, about 6-8 minutes
Allow to cool for 2 minutes on the cookies sheet before transfering to wire racks to cool completely

To frost cookies:
Mix powdered sugar and milk
If the icing is too thick, add a little more milk
Use food coloring to tint the frosting
Apply with a spoon I've tried all the fancy frosting utensils and I still like to use a spoon
The icing drips quite a bit, so I like to lay the cookies on aluminum foil to dry overnight
If you're a perfectionist like me, you'll want to run a paring knife around the edges once the icing has hardened.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I read each and every one!