12.04.2013

Perfect Pumpkin Cheesecake

I've made this recipe a few times and it's always a crowd pleaser. I used to be afraid to make cheesecake. I was intimidated for some reason. Fortunately for me, my friend Amy is a cheesecake baking pro and was happy to show me the ropes. 


I adapted my recipe from this one that I found several years back in a magazine.



Pumpkin Cheesecake
Crust:
1-3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tbs sugar
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter

Cheesecake:
1/4 cup flour
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
1 tbs pure vanilla extract
4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
5 eggs

Heat oven to 325℉

Grease a 9" springform pan. Make sure to get up the sides. It'll help prevent cracking and make it easier to remove the pan later.

In a small bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, 2 tbs sugar, & melted butter. Press mixture into the bottom of the pan and about an inch up the sides. Wrap foil around the outside of the pan to catch drips & bake for 8-10 min. until set. Let Cool 5 min. at room temperature & then refrigerate for 5 minutes more until completely cooled.

In a medium sized bowl, mix flour, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, and pumpkin; set aside.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium until smooth & creamy. Gradually beat in brown sugar & 2/3 cup granulated sugar until smooth. Add your pumpkin mixture and beat until smooth.

On low speed, beat in 1 egg at a time. Only mix until blended. It's important not to overheat your batter once you've added eggs.

Pour filling over crust.

Some people like to do a water bath in the oven. I'm always afraid the water will end up in my cheesecake pan. Instead, I fill a glass baking dish 1/2 way with water and place it on the rack below the cheesecake while it's baking.

Bake 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes until set, but center of the cheesecake has 2-3" of jiggle in the middle.

Turn oven off and open the door about 4 inches. Let the cheesecake remain in the oven another hour.

Remove from oven and run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cheesecake. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight before serving.

Of course, I never have pumpkin pie spice when I need it, so I made my own with this recipe.

Btw, I give mad props to food stylists. Cutting pretty cheesecake is HARD. I hear that they freeze them first and use a really sharp knife. I don't have time for that...

Give this a shot and let me know how it turns out! Don't be scared like I was!


6 comments :

  1. Pumpkin Cheesecake sounds so delicious. Bookmarking this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been getting rave reviews from this recipe for almost a decade! You won't be sorry!

      Delete
  2. I will most definitely be making this soon! It reminds me of my peanut butter pie recipe, except you need to actually bake this one! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be sorry! It might be the best thing I make!

      Delete
  3. Mmm, this sounds/looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ate the last piece for breakfast this morning and I'm seriously sad it's gone!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I read each and every one!