3.18.2014

Peanut Butter Pie // A Vintage Recipe

This recipe is a family favorite. It was given to my Grandma by a neighbor in the 60's because she loves peanut butter so much. Grandma & Grandpa have been making it ever since.

I'm not a big peanut butter fan. In fact, I wouldn't eat it at all as a kid. This pie is still one of my favorites. The meringue and the vanilla pudding keep the pie light and not overpowering. I like to add bananas to this recipe, but you don't have to. I actually made one with and one without and they both turned out fantastic!


Peanut Butter Pie
Ingredients:
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1- 3 oz. box of cook & serve vanilla pudding
milk required to make pudding
1 baked 9" or 10" pie crust, deep dish
3 large egg whites
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 bananas (optional)

Bake your pie crust according to instructions. I used frozen, but you can make your own if you like. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350º F
Cut peanut butter into powdered sugar until it looks like large crumbs
Put into the pie crust
If you're using bananas, slice them and put a layer on top of your peanut butter mixture
In a saucepan, cook vanilla pudding as instructed
Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then pour into pie crust
In a clean bowl, preferably in a stand mixer, beat egg whites until frothy
Slowly add granulated sugar and cream of tartar
Keep beating on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form. This could take awhile.
Add meringue to the pie, sealing edges to the pie crust.
Bake at 350º F for 15-20 minutes until slightly brown
Allow to cool, then refrigerate to store.

This recipe  makes one pie and doubles well. Enjoy
This is a versatile recipe too. I'm thinking about changing it up. I wonder if using chocolate pudding would make a light Reese's style pie? Hmmm....

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I read each and every one!